Thursday, November 7, 2013

Netflix - A World of Re-Discovery

Do you know what I love about Netflix? It's their collection of old TV shows. Their streaming collection isn't bad, but it is in their DVDs that I have found a treasure trove of great old shows. I made my first discovery about six months ago when I discovered that Netflix had Emergency! available in their streaming catalog. It brought back a flood of childhood memories. My father was a volunteer firefighter in my hometown (he still is I might add). I can remember watching that show and thinking about him behind the wheel of the fire engine, rushing to a big fire. Of course, my town was considerably smaller that Los Angeles county, where Emergency! was set. The volunteer fire department in my hometown was never as busy as firefighters Roy DeSoto and John Gage.

Then I found The Greatest American Hero, a show that I thought was the bee's knees when I was young. Imagine my surprise to watch it in the 21st century. Although it was a nostalgic look into my past, it was also riotously funny, especially the cheesy special effect. When I was young, the show held a lot of meaning for me as I imagined myself receiving a suit with super powers. That was probably every young boy's dream. Who didn't make a cape from a towel and pretend to fly around the yard? Raise your hand if you can relate. 

But, I think the biggest treasure I found was, by far, Tales of the Gold Monkey. If I was honest, this was probably my second most favorite show of all time. It aired on ABC a year after Raiders of the Lost Ark hit the theaters. It was probably the network's attempt to capitalize with an Indiana Jones style show. But that didn't matter to me. I loved that show. I watched it every week (or so I thought). And, I was truly disappointed when it ended after only one season (not due to low ratings, but because it was too costly to produce). It was a good old fashion adventure show that was good clean fun. There are some shows that really stick with you, and this is one of them for me. Off and on throughout the past twenty years, I have wondered if this show would ever be available on VHS, and then DVD. It never went into syndication so I never got the see it again, until this year. It has been a real treat to get to know this show again. 

I'm still searching Netflix for my next flashback to the past. Who knows what I will find next? Perhaps I'll find that show about the Sleestacks (I think that's how you spell it) whatever it was called.

1 comment: