Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Secret Diary of Juror #10 - Part One

Losing One's Jury Duty Virginity


So, if you have kept up on my blog, you may have read my last post in which I was summoned for jury duty in New Castle County.  I may have said that I wasn't looking forward to jury duty, but was prepared to serve my one day.  Well, It wasn't so much jury duty as jury selection.  Yes, I was selected to serve on a jury for a trial which starts tomorrow (6/3/2013).  

If you had read my last post about jury duty, you would have also noted that I was not very keen on lawsuits.  Irony upon irony, the trial is a malpractice lawsuit.

However, I have to admit that as I sat through jury selection, I found myself becoming more and more fascinated by the selection process.  As the day of selection wore on, I found myself, surprisingly, wanting to be selected to serve on trial.  In the end, I was selected to be juror #10.

I'll be frank with you.  I am a jury duty virgin.  I've never served in a jury in my life.  As a matter of fact, I have never even had to report for the selection process.  This is all new to me.  The only thing that I know about being on a jury is that you sit in a chair in the jury box and listen to other people speaking a incomprehensible language called "Legalese".  Well, starting tomorrow, I will find out what it really is all about.  Is jury duty as dreaded as many seem to elude?

What changed my mind about being on a jury?  I think it was the "thrust and parry" maneuvers of the lawyers as they went through the selection process.  I found it fascinating to watch the back and forth as  each lawyer tried to stack the jury box in his favor.  The intense strategy of each move seemed so precisely planned and orchestrated.  It was such an incredible pleasure to watch skilled tacticians battle it out for the greatest advantage.

So, tomorrow, I lose my jury duty virginity.  Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment