Sunday, June 23, 2013

Have You Heard The One About ...

Have you heard the one about the TV Cooking Host who used a racial slur years ago and now has lost her television contract and her sponsors?  Paula Dean is in deep trouble over comments that she had made in the past that were racial in nature.  Now, the world is up in arms and she is losing her sponsorships, and Food Network has even decided to not renew their contract with her.  All of this over comments made years ago.

Now, I am not a fan of Paula Dean.  It's not that I don't like her, I just don't watch her show, or read her books.  I'm also not fond of using THAT much butter in my food.  Well, except for once when I was in fourth grade, but that is a story for a different time.  Anyway, I think everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Hmmm, I wonder if the word mole is offensive to members of the Scalopus Aquaticus species.  Sorry, I digress.  As I was saying, I find this whole outrage to be not only irritating, but downright asinine.  Trust me, I don't use the word asinine lightly.  Let's face it, who has not laughed at a Pollock joke, or a blonde joke (ok, blondes aren't really a race, but you get my meaning).  The fact is that I think you will be hard pressed to find someone in this country that has not made a racial or derogatory remark in their lives.  Does it make them a racist?  Does it mean that they are a bad person?  No.  It means that they, like everyone, are not perfect.

This is just another sign of political correctness running amok.  I don't condone racism in any way, shape, or form.  But, sometimes I think we make too much of it.  People say things, and sometimes they even say things that they don't necessarily mean.  Things slip out.  And, before anyone starts casting stones at others for making racial or derogatory remarks, you might want to stop for a moment and reflect on your own remarks.  How does the old saying go?  "He who has no sin cast the first stone".

Let's think about children for instance.  Who doesn't remember taunting the fat kid in class with "Fatty fatty two by four, can't get through the kitchen door."  Which, by the way, is not only mean but wildly inaccurate.  Obvious he had been through the kitchen door thousands of times before.  And even if you never said it, you thought it.  Does that make you a bad person?  No, just a normal ordinary imperfect human being.

I think that is what it comes down to.  We place celebrities on some higher plane than the rest, and when they fall we feel that they deserve a far worse punishment than us.  Just because Paula Dean is a celebrity chef, doesn't make her any less fallible.  So, why should her entire life be torn down for some offhand comment that she made years ago?

If you ask me, political correctness has ruined just about every funny joke there is out there.  I can't even tell my personal favorite about the rabbi, the fat guy, and the octopus, for fear that someone might be offended.  The octopus is gay, by the way.

Let's face it.  Isn't there more important things to worry about in this world than whether or not Paula Dean used the N word once?  I don't get bothered when someone calls me a c&#@$%r, or a h&$%y.  Sorry, didn't want to offend.

In 2009, President Obama compared his poor bowling skills to the Special Olympics.  No one seemed to give a damn about that.  He apologized and life went on.  Of course, that was back when it was still thought that he could walk on water, but the point is that his remark was no worse than Paula Dean's.  Yet, people are burning her in effigy while they simply re-elected him.  He gets rewarded for his improper remarks, and she gets canned.  Doesn't seem fair.

Again, I want to reiterate that I don't condone racism in any way.  But, come on folks.  Lighten up a little.  Until you can prove that you have never made a off color remark, or had a racist thought, lay off those who make mistakes.  You're not any more perfect than the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment