Sunday, March 10, 2013

Book Review: "A Bitter Frost" by Christine Schulden

As I mentioned earlier, my cousin, Christine Schulden recently published her first book called A Bitter Frost.  I finished reading it last week and I thought I would post a few thoughts.  I will try not to be bias since she is my cousin.  

The book focuses on Laurel Frost, the wife of a prominent local lawyer.  To the rest of the world, Laurel appears to have the perfect life, with a perfect home on plenty of land, influential friends, country club membership, nice car, and everything else that comes with a privileged life of luxury.  But, behind closed doors, things are very different.  Laurel is tormented in her own home by an unknown intruder who tosses books from shelves, moves furniture, breaks dishes, and shatters mirrors.  No matter how hard she tries, she can't make anyone believe that someone else is doing these things.  Laurel is desperate to expose the truth, which leads her down a path that could turn deadly.

Now, I don't normally read books from the paranormal genre.  I am more of a good old "murder, follow the clues, catch the murderer" type reader.  But, I have to admit that Christine pulled me in with her story from the first chapter.  The character development was thorough, making you really start to care about Laurel and what is happening to her.  Although it is a long book, I found myself not wanting to stop reading for fear of missing some important detail.  And speaking of details, Christine does a nice job of setting each scene with enough detail to give a clear visual picture of the surroundings.

I won't give anything away, but the final plot twist in the last chapter left me stunned.  All in all, a very enjoyable read.

The book is available from Amazon.com is paperback and Kindle formats.  Click here for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment