Wednesday, July 11, 2012

To Pick Or Not To Pick. That Is The Question.

I want to talk about a bit of a taboo subject. Some of you may be shocked and horrified by this, but I don't care. I think it is time to ask the hard questions and demand some hard answers. If you are squeamish, this might be a good time to move on.

So, here is my question: What is so wrong about nose picking? Everyone has done it at one time or another. Babies do it because they don't know any better. Adults do it when they think no one is looking. How many times have you passed a car on the highway to find that the driver has his finger up his nose?

So why the taboo? From an early age, we are taught that picking our nose was some kind of evil thing that is only done by sinners and reprobates. Parents are appalled and embarrassed when their child picks his nose in public. And as adults, if we, despite all of our upbringing, feel the overwhelming desire to pick our nose, we dash off some place private to do the deed. There are even those who can get an entire finger up there when they need to do some serious booger mining. And finally, there are those that hide their nose picking behind the pretense of blowing their nose. We've all seen that one. A quick blow and then up the finger goes all wrapped in a tissue. Come on, who do you think you're fooling? You're picking!!

I again ask, why the taboo? Let's face it, there are some boogers that a tissue just can't get out. Some of them cling on for dear life. Some of them wedge themselves up there in such a way that even the hardest blow won't budge it. Sometimes you just need to get in there and dig that sucker out. Plus, there are people out there that have noses that are simply made for picking. You know the ones. They have cavernous nasal passages that could hold an entire booger mining crew.

So why is nose picking such a horrible thing? Is it a hygiene thing? How unhygienic can it really be compared to blowing your nose? At least you're not blowing your germs all over the place when you pick.

Is it a disposal issue? What do you do with it once you've picked it? There was the old saying, "Pick it and flick it". That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Who wants to be involved in a drive-by flicking? Not I.

Is there some health concern? I remember being told in elementary school that picking your nose flattens out the hair inside your nose that is used for filtering out particulars from the air I breathe. I find that one hard to believe considering how often I have to trim my nose hair.

So, what is it that we find so repulsive about picking our nose? I don't have an answer for this. I guess I am more asking for the sake of asking. So I throw this out to the public. Why do you think nose picking is so taboo in our society? Please feel free to add your comments to my blog.

Whatever the outcome of this little debate, i think we all need to remember the famous words of William Shakespeare when he wrote: To pick or not to pick. That is the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment