Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Toll of Writing

I received word that the final proofs for my new book are arriving this week.  Now that the book is done, I have to admit that it has been a bit of a struggle over the past few months.  Unlike my first book, which was more of a tongue-in-cheek take on Noir fiction from the 1950s, this book takes place in modern times, with complex characters, each with their own backstory, struggles, and emotions.  The process of creating those characters and then bringing them to life has been quite an mental and emotional strain.  I find that I am now feeling a little drained from all of the work.  It is hard to believe that writing can take such a toll.

While I was creating the backstory for the main character, Brian Wilder, I found myself feeling some of the anguish that he would have gone through had he been real.  It may sound strange, but I feel like that made me a better writer.  When I was writing The Case Files of Doyle & McCraken, there was no need for an elaborate backstory, no need for complex character development, but this new book turned out to be a completely different experience.
I sat down last night to work on the next book in the Brian Wilder series and found myself feeling utterly wiped out.  So, I ended up taking the night off.  As hard as BLACK and WHITE and DEAD ALL OVER was to write, I think that Deadlines will be even harder.  I foresee that the topics tackled in the new book will be very difficult to write about.  There will definitely be some significant emotional and mental effort in the writing.

BLACK and WHITE and DEAD ALL OVER will be released in September.  Plus, watch for a special announcement later this month in conjunction with the new book release.

1 comment: